Saturday, December 8, 2012

How It Happened

I can safely admit that I've always wanted to be my own boss, and hopefully one day I can TRULY become that.... I suppose I'm on the right track now (I don't want to jinx myself).  

Points East didn't start as some get rich quick scheme, or anything like that.  As a matter of fact, I found out about hand planes for body surfing by browsing my favorite sites: Swaylocks and KorduroyAt the first sight of hand planes, I was skeptical.  However, I wanted to try one.  So I free-handed a template, refined it, traced it onto a really crappy piece of rotted and porous wood and went to town on it.  It was kinda of the first time I used a bench plane, as I never enjoyed them in high school.  But I quickly learned to love the tool.  Before I even got to try the first one, I made another.  The first wave I ever caught on a hand plane gave me the wildest sensation... My mouth was hanging open so much that I swallowed somewhere near 5 gallons of water, which I then coughed up when I resurfaced.

Since that day, I was hungry.  I wanted to shape and experiment as much as possible, and I scavenged everywhere for old wood.  After more shaping, I wanted to share the stoke as well as become a better wood worker.  My first stringer plane was gorgeous, but still, my most proudest work was the only double stringer plane I've done to date, seen below.


I was so proud of it, and when it finally sold, it was like watching a child leave your home forever.  Well, I think so, cause I've never had a kid.  That was the start of surf craft woodworking.  The plane is actually sitting on top of my poplar Alaia that I had shaped a few weeks before, which is the first of many.



No comments:

Post a Comment